- The Hamptons
- Los Angeles
- New York
- Orange County
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- Washington, D.C.
Luis Rigual | Photo: Courtesy of Brian Bowen Smith | June 17, 2013
SoCal native Matthew Morrison is no stranger to show tunes and pop hits. He’s covered plenty of them during his years on Broadway and, later, as Mr. Schu in Fox’s geek-chic hit series Glee. These days, the Hollywood Hills resident is humming a (somewhat) different tune. In his new album, Where It All Began, which drops June 4 (the first release from Adam Levine’s 222 Records), the Emmy, Tony and Golden Globe nominee takes medleys from musicals and makes them his own with new tempos and arrangements. We asked the song-and-dance man to sing the city’s praises and pick his favorite haunts in and around L.A.
1. A few weekends ago, I got to watch a beautiful sunset at the rooftop bar at Hotel Erwin (1697 Pacific Ave., Venice Beach, 310.452.1111, hotelerwin.com). It was a magical night with great ambiance and terrific drinks.
2. My house is full of furniture from vintage shops like Mortise & Tenon (446 S. La Brea Ave., L.A., 323.937.7654, mortisetenon.com) and Design Mix Furniture (442 S. La Brea Ave., L.A., 323.939.7500, mixfurniture.com).
3. I love to hike in Griffith Park (4730 Crystal Springs Drive, L.A., 323.913.4688, laparks.org), cycle down PCH and run through the hills and the Hollywood Reservoir.
4. My favorites are the K. Bell breakfast sandwich at Vivian’s Millennium Café (10968 Ventura Blvd., Studio City, 818.762.8710) and anything at Aroma Café (2530 Overland Ave., L.A., 310.836.2919, aromacafe-la.com).
5. Bike riding and a nice meal make for a great date. My girlfriend and I like date nights in different cities. My favorite is The SIP (2598 Sierra Creek Road, Agoura, 818.865.0440, sipmalibu.com).