- The Hamptons
- Los Angeles
- New York
- Orange County
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- Washington, D.C.
Strike a Pose!
Kelsi Maree | Photo: Mario Covic | June 24, 2013
Summer has arrived, and it’s requesting you move all of your activities outside to bask in the gleaming sunshine. And your yoga routine is no exception. Take advantage of our lucky L.A. landscape, break out of the yoga studio walls and bring your summer wellness workout to the great outdoors with these yoga methods that will have you practicing your poses everywhere from the mountains to the ocean.
1. Trade in your yoga mat for a stand-up paddleboard and venture onto the high seas for Yogaqua, the hybrid yoga and paddleboarding exercise that challenges you to find your center in the center of the Pacific. Yogaqua, 4101 Admiralty Way, Marina del Rey, 805.283.9642, yogaqua.com
2. On June 30, dedicated yogis will practice in unison on the Santa Monica Pier for the 2013 Wanderlust Yoga in the City Festival. Between three class sessions led by top instructors, health-conscious food and performances by local musicians will keep the wellness-to-do group occupied. Santa Monica Pier, Santa Monica, la.wanderlustfestival.com
3. Tell your yoga routine to take a hike—literally. This traveling workout takes yogis on a hike through the trails of Griffith Park, stopping in scenic spots along the way for the group to hold a yoga pose or two. Griffith Park Observatory, 2800 E. Observatory Ave., L.A., 888.589.2250, hikingyoga.com
4. You can never beat the classics. This year-round L.A. staple welcomes novice and advanced yogis to practice traditional poses in the open air. Runyon Canyon, 2000 N. Fuller Ave., L.A., runyoncanyon-losangeles.com
5. The Hotel Wilshire is making a splash with summer yoga sessions on the hotel rooftop, providing guests with true peace of mind with heavenly views that will aid in tuning out the city clamor. The classes kick off June 28 with aqua yoga in the pool and a post-practice breakfast of healthy bites. The Hotel Wilshire, 6317 Wilshire Blvd., L.A., 323.852.6000, hotelwilshire.com