- The Hamptons
- Los Angeles
- New York
- Orange County
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- Washington, D.C.
The Hit List: Burger Kings
Robin Barr Sussman | Photo: Jack Opatrany | May 8, 2014
May is National Burger Month, so bring your appetite to these Houston hangouts and savor these unexpected, two-handed options.
1. Amazon Grill’s (5114 Kirby Dr., 713.522.5888) Mofongo burger stars chimichurri beef, crowned with roasted plantain, smoked panela cheese, black bean refritos and jalapeno remoulade. Or try the tangy Cabrales blue cheese burger with crispy leeks, arugula, and gauva on a grilled challah bun.
2. Better hurry! Del Frisco’s Grille (2800 Kirby Dr., 832.623.6168) is serving its special Banh Mi burger through the end of this month. Chef Jeff Taylor’s creation is composed of two 4-ounce burger patties garnished with pickled carrots, cucumbers, cabbage, ghost pepper jack cheese and sliced pork belly, and drizzled with Korean sauce. A side of mouthwatering sesame-crusted fries is included.
3. Hotel Derek’s Valentino restaurant (2525 W. Loop S. Fwy., 713.961.3000) recently introduced a splurge-worthy Surf & Turf burger. The decadent creation starts with an Australian kobe beef patty, and is topped with poached lobster, pickled red onions, arugula and truffle mayo.
4. New to La Casa del Caballo’s (322 Westheimer Rd., 832.623.6467) menu is the wood-fire-grilled sirloin burger composed of a huge 10-ounce patty, Chihuahua cheese, Piquin pepper mayo, lettuce and generous slices of avocado. It comes with fried potatoes, and four different salsas. Smoking hot!
5. Pondicheri (2800 Kirby Dr., 713.522.2022) proffers a stellar lamb burger seasoned with spicy masala and chopped mint. It’s crowned with creamy Indian cheddar, goat cheese, purple kale and cilantro chutney. Wednesday is Burger Night with special pricing on burgers and a pint of beer.