It’s already August?! Here are five ways to make the most of the last weeks of summer.
1. Head south on 45 for sun and surf, and check in to check out the newly renovated Hotel Galvez. The historic hotel decked out its bar and grill area with nearly $1 million in upgrades, and updated the menu, too—think po’ boys, fresh and fried local seafood and thick-cut steaks. 2024 Seawall Blvd., 409.765.7721
2. Choose from the menu of “spa tapas” at the Four Seasons hotel Downtown, and get mini-treatments, like the 15-minute Tropical Hand Smoother, poolside. 1300 Lamar St., 713.650.1300
3. Chill out with New Orelans-style “adult snowballs,” on the dessert menu at Brennan’s. They’re drizzled with fancy flavors like Brandy Milk Punch. 3300 Smith St., 713.522.9711
4. Kick back at an ice house, like the modernized D&T Drive Inn, in operation since the ’60s but newly outfitted with two frozen-drink machines and a wall of 50 taps. 1307 Enid St., 713.868.6165
5. Splurge on a light and lovely little white dress—prefect for White Linen Night in the Heights on Aug. 3, where you can sip and shop along 19th Street during a community festival featuring local artists, musicians and vendors. Vix’s Jessey linen three-quarter-sleeve number ($290) touts cut-outs to keep you cool. Available at Saks Fifth Avenue, 713.627.0500