- The Hamptons
- Los Angeles
- New York
- Orange County
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- Washington, D.C.
The Hit List: Who Loves Ya, Baby?
Robin Barr Sussman | Photo: Evan Sung | May 3, 2013
What could be more important than breaking bread with mom and spending quality time with her on May 12? May we suggest a few H-Town newbies and classic eateries for the special day? Happy Mother’s Day!
1. Still a Houston fave for al fresco brunch and celebrations, Backstreet Café (1103 S. Shepherd Dr., 713.521.2239) Executive Chef Hugo Ortega proffers a special 3-course menu from 10am to 3pm with dishes like shrimp and asparagus salad, grilled lamb chops, and lemon tart with almonds and ginger. Live jazz by Bob Chadwick is coupled with an award-winning wine list!
2. Del Frisco’s Grille (2800 Kirby Dr., 713. 961.0333) is a prime spot for brunch on Sunday, May 12, from 11am to 4pm. Executive Chef Jeff Taylor will be dishing up the Grille’s signature brunch dishes such as red velvet Belgian waffles with whipped vanilla-bean-spiked cream cheese served with hickory-smoked bacon, and Texas favorites like chilaquiles and chicken-fried steak and eggs.
3. Still new Etoile (1101 Uptown Park Blvd., 832. 665.5808) puts on a tres chic lunch menu for Mom from 11am to 3pm. Enjoy seared salmon with spring veggies; Maine lobster Eggs Benedict; pork tenderloin medallions; or creme fraiche panna cotta with strawberry syrup and fresh herbs.
4. At Haven (2502 Algerian Way, 713.581.6101) you can treat Mom and the whole gang to a delish brunch at one of Houston’s only certified Green restaurants. Chef Randy Evans uses only the best local ingredients—mom would love knowing she can even look at the map in the kitchen pinpointed with the locations where he sources ingredients! For Mother’s Day, Chef Evans will offer a special 3-course brunch menu from 10am to 4pm.
5. The luxurious grande dame Four Seasons Hotel (1300 Lamar St., 713.276.4700) celebrates Mother’s Day with La Fete des Mere as the third-floor social areas are transformed into a massive French kitchen à la Julia Child. Explore various food stations such as the Creperie, serving up French-style baked goods or the Boucherie with a choice of succulently cooked meats. Kids can even adjourn to a special little room where they will be presented with a cupcake and products to decorate it with. The resulting piece de resistance can then be presented to mom. Art from the heart! Reservations required.