- The Hamptons
- Los Angeles
- New York
- Orange County
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- Washington, D.C.
All About Eve
Amy Finley | Photo: Anaïs & Dax | December 16, 2013
Out with the old and in with the new! We plan to welcome 2014 in high style. Where? Read on...
1. “Begin as you mean to go on,” goes the old adage. And since we mean to spend 2014 living as luxuriously as possible, seems like we should begin the new year at The Grand Del Mar (thegranddelmar.com). Dinner at Addison ($265/person or $400/person with wine pairings) will be a seven-course feast from top toque William Bradley, and then we’re off to the Elizabeth Ballroom for an up-all-night ’80s party. We’re packing our cashmere leg warmers.
2. We nominate Tracey Borkum for party queen! This home-grown restaurateur with the Midas touch really knows how to create an energetic dining room. Case in point? Name your Cucina. On NYE, the Banker’s Hill Cucina Urbana (cucinaurbana.com) will have live music all night as guests indulge in a three- or four-course ($50 and $75, respectively) prix fixe menu from chef Joe Magnanelli, served after 6:30pm. In Del Mar, Cucina Enoteca (cucinaenoteca.com) is the place to ring in 2014, with bubbly specials all night to complement Magnanelli’s prix fixe menu ($50-$85). Chow!
3. One of our favorite bartenders, Nate Howell, will be mixing up a Champagne cocktail to pair with chef Donald Lockhart’s four-course prix fixe ($65) at Cusp (cusprestaurant.com). We love the Hotel La Jolla’s rooftop dining room on any night, but it’s extra special when the sun’s setting over the Pacific on the very last night of the year.
4. Between that glowing fireplace and the twinkling chandeliers, the restyled Morada at The Inn at Rancho Santa Fe (theinnatrsf.com) is topping our list of romantic venues for saying farewell to 2013. Chef Todd Allison is dishing up a four-course tasting menu ($79.50, plus $20-$40/person for wine pairings), and live music starts in the dining room at 7pm.
5. And finally… Quick! Do this now! Downtown’s pocket-sized Noble Experiment (nobleexperimentsd.com) sells just 30 tickets for its celebrated New Year’s bash, making it one of the most exclusive parties in S.D. With your prized ticket ($140) in hand, you’ll slip behind the secret door for an evening of open-bar revelry, with passed hors d’oeuvres all night and a toast at midnight. Text 619.888.4713 for ticketing information. And Happy New Year!