- The Hamptons
- Los Angeles
- New York
- Orange County
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- Washington, D.C.
The Wrap Up
Amy Finley & Gillian Flynn | Photo: Tim Melideo | November 7, 2013
Okay, people: It’s that time of year again. Let the merry maelstrom of the holiday shopping season begin! Determined to stand out from the crowd, we’re on the hunt for the ne plus ultra of gifts and, yes, we’re starting early. (Early bird and worm and all that…) Here’s where we’re looking.
1. North Park’s Pigment (shoppigment.com) is a discerning shopper’s paradise. For the foodies on our list, we’re loving the cookbooks and vintage mixing bowls and bake ware (Pigment owner Amy Paul has a keen eye for yesteryear treasures). There are small-batch cocktail mixers and bar accessories that bring panache to the art of tippling, and a trove of design objets we’d happily gift to the most house-proud of our friends. Add in an assortment of Baggu sacs and pouches, boho-glam LoveTatum jewelery (if you love us, please buy us that gold-plated shark tooth necklace!), perfectly precious items for the wee ones and custom terrariums assembled in the Plant Lab, and we could knock off our entire list in one glorious spree. 3801 30th St., San Diego, 619.501.6318
2. Any legit design lover in San Diego lusts after SoLo (solocedros.com), the Jennifer Luce-designed store on Cedros in Solana Beach. Boasting the largest selection of design books in the county, SoLo is also the HQ for major design finds with several dealers offerings their wares. Think of it as a modern day co-op with something for every aesthetic (even that holiday hostess who has everything). There's mid-century furniture, one-of-a-kind industrial chic finds, kitschy gifts, fun stuff for the kiddos and enough candles and chic soaps to scent your entire neighborhood. Don't miss the whimsical selection of cards—go ahead and stock up. Pick up that pen; lick that stamp; and revive the art of sending cards. Take that, Evite! 309 S Cedros Ave., Solana Beach, 858.794.9016
3. For the men in our lives, we’re all about Surplus Dry Goods, a gentleman’s holiday pop-up shop running until December 31st in North Park. Sean Barnes of Little Italy’s home shop love&aesthetics collaborated with Ms. Vintage clothing boutique and L.A.-based designer Leon Gazarian to curate a collection of new and vintage workwear, military-inspired apparel, accessories and gifts that hit all the hipster high notes. Check out the cotton gauze printed button downs from The Neighborhood Thieves, thick sweaters from Blackboard Café, hefty brass biker rings and neckwear by ZB Savoy Bowtie Co. Bring on the mistletoe! 3060 University Ave., San Diego
4. We love Warwick's (warwicks.com) in La Jolla for many reasons, the first being the fact that it’s the country's oldest family-operated bookstore with the best-ever staff reviews. The second? The Girard Avenue store also boasts a seriously well-edited gift shop showcasing local (and arty) jewelry. Bags and leather goods abound, with fine wallets, totes and handsome laptop cases that scream "I'm distinguished!" Fans of fine stationary and pens will find a dreamy (and nerdy) selection on offer. Moleskin lover? This is paradise found. The kids’ corner has become one of the burgeoning sections of the store, boasting a boatload of children's books—both classics and the hipster-approved—along with high-brow toys for your budding little reader. Book it! 7812 Girard Ave, San Diego, 858.454.0347
5. Alas, there comes a time in even the most die-hard shopper’s life when it’s time to call in the experts. Enter Fashion Valley (simon.com/mall/fashion-valley) and their just-launched holiday personal shopper service. Versed in the season’s trends and with an insider’s expertise on the upscale mall’s myriad offerings, you can hand over your entire list and have a shopper do the purchasing for you, concierge-style, or book an escorted custom shopping tour. Hm. Access to gifts from top-tier shops from Gucci to Gap, and we don’t even have to brave the parking lot? Sold! 7007 Friars Road, San Diego, 619.688.9114 for booking