- Eat & Drink
- News & Features
- City Life
- The Hamptons
- Las Vegas
- Los Angeles
- New York
- Orange County
- Palm Beach
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- Silicon Valley
- Washington, D.C.
Five Reasons You Should Go See Marc Maron Tonight
Scott Lucas | Photo: Courtesy Marc Maron | October 16, 2013
The comedian is appearing wtih Adam Savage at City Arts & Lectures.
Marc Maron is going to be appearing tonight at City Arts & Lectures. Those of you who are super-fans of his probably scooped up tickets months ago. But to the vast majority, Maron is that guy who shows up on Letterman or maybe the dude who guest starred for an episode on the latest season of Louie. If that's all you know about him, here's our primer about why you should see him tonight. (Find tickets here.)
1. Adam Savage—you know, the guy on Mythbusters—is going to be talking to him. Savage is worth a list all his own, actually.
2. Comedy's Badfinger, Maron is the most famous un-famous performer in America. He's been one step away from being huge for years—barely missing the cut to join the cast of Saturday Night Live, appearing in more stand-up appearances on Conan than anyone, and having a small part in Almost Famous.
3. When he isn't obsessing over his cats, Maron performs hilarious psychoanalysis on his guests on his podcast WTF.
4. He broke up with his fiance like two days ago, so expect him to be in super-sad mode tonight. For the uninitiated, Maron is to super-sad introspection as is Bruce Springsteen to songs about the white working class or Jay-Z is to bragging about his rags to riches trajectory.
5. In his new show on IFC, Maron, he has taken on D&D playing internet trolls, dead possums, and strange women sending him pictures of their private anatomy. (There will be a new season in 2014, too.)