Primping before an evening out is a sumptuous act. Perhaps Billie Holiday will warble from a stereo while you dab blush on your cheeks. A glass of something (we like the splash of a G&T) will be sipped between brushes of polish on your tips and toes. You’ll try a lipstick, maybe two; choose your fragrance (will it be the floral or the woodsy?) and spritz. Then, the final look. We’ve captured this moment in a model unit at the hip new 1221 Van apartment community in the Ballpark District (rent for penthouse $10,050 per month). The chevron wallpaper and quartz counter—from interior designer P[Four] and architect Cecconi Simone, respectively—offer a posh place to prep for a night on the town. Our current get-glam musts include Arielle Shoshana, a scent haven carrying her eponymous label and rare perfumes; Lune+Aster and M-61 Powerful Skincare, Georgetown-based Bluemercury’s proprietary beauties; skin saviors from Raaw by Trice and ayuna, which charm us at Take Care; TOMA Skin Therapies, a naturally driven notable; makeup from the U.K.’s Rouge Bunny Rouge, now found at GoodWood; and Nadalina Cosmetics, with its water-permeable polishes. And all that will help make that final glimpse one to last.
Each from left:
1. What I Did on My Holidays, 1.7 fl. oz. for $90, by 4160 Tuesdays; Arielle Shoshana Eau de Parfum, 3.4 fl. oz. for $125; and L’Eau, $1.7 fl. oz. for $135, by Tauer Perfumes; all at Arielle Shoshana Scented Luxuries, Fairfax, Va., arielleshoshana.com.
2. 5-Minute Rescue sheet mask: Hydrate, $8, by Lune+Aster and Hydraboost face oil, $64, by M-61 Powerful Skincare, both at Bluemercury stores, bluemercury.com.
3. Balm, $130, by ayuna and Laminaria eye crème, $80, by Raaw by Trice, both at Take Care, Northwest, takecareshopdc.com.
4. Bath bomb, $4 each, by TOMA Skin Therapies at The Still Point Spa, Takoma Park, Md., tomaskintherapies.com
5. Cheeks in Bloom blush wand in Rubens, $31, and Witchery Modeling mascara in No. 46, $30, both by Rouge Bunny Rouge at GoodWood, Northwest, goodwooddc.com.
6. Fifi and O’Maroon nail polish, $15 each, nadalinacosmetics.com